Saturday, March 15, 2008

Thinking about Uncle Herbie today

It's Saturday morning, and I slept well last night (was sneezing all day yesterday, so took a Benadryl at bedtime, and enjoyed a 9 pm - 7 am sleepfest). I am so grateful for that, and for feeling better. I am beginning to feel as if I just might have the energy to take this all on, after all. And that's good, very good.

Today, though, I'm thinking about my grandparents, and about my grandmother's younger brother Herb, who died on Thursday afternoon--peacefully, in his big chair, at the end of a good day--and brought his particular brand of big love and good humor to us all over the years. There he is on the right, hanging out with some huge-headed baby (my parents were never sure I would grow into it). In his 91st year, he was still handsome, with the classic Damon renegade eyebrows that had grown more and more unruly--and awesome--over the years, and had a twinkle in his eye that bespoke of much mischief, past and future. Herb went to Exeter, and before I set off for my first year, he told me, that twinkle making me wonder if he was just being a tease, "it was a terrible place," and that I would "hate it." (I suppose there were days when it did seem a terrible place, and I did hate it, but mostly I loved it, and it was, and still is, a home to me, my classmates, a family--with all its dysfunction, hilarity, and comfort.)

In honor of Herbie, and all my wonderful Damon cousins, aunts and uncles, I send this out to all of you: the Damon Family Song (best sung when drunk at a big family gathering):

Hens! Hens! With their funny upturned ends!
Hens! Hens! With their funny upturned ends!
OH, Rooster Pooster Rooster Poo
Rooster Pooster Rooster Poo
Rooster Pooster Rooster Poo
Rooster Pooster Rooster Poo
Toooomm Caaaat...

Here's a photo of baby Herb, the one with the twinkle in his eye, with his big sister, Kay (my grandmother), and big brother, Bus. We'll miss you, Herb!
They lived and laughed and loved and left. --James Joyce
Be well, stay well. More later. After another good night's sleep. LOVE

No comments: