Wednesday, March 5, 2008

No word yet on when ~ The Elusive Sleep

I called Dr. Specht's office today to see if they had secured an OR at Newton-Wellesley for my surgery on the 17th--or the 24th--but they had not yet been able to. I have not yet called my surgeon here to cancel my surgery date next week; I have to be sure that N-W will work out before snipping all the cords here. As well, I'm not looking forward to canceling--I really and truly like Dr. Fox, and think he's a great guy and great doc, and frankly, I don't want him to think my decision is based on anything negative about him, because it's not (unless you count the fact that he went to Andover).

Jim and Luke are off tonight to see the UMASS basketball game; five past NMH players are playing in the game tonight--three for UMASS and two for LaSalle. Dominick and I have opted to stay home. My throat has been sore--probably some big city germ--and I thought I probably wouldn't last too long amidst all those screaming fans. So, we have settled into a quiet night at home, watching Animal Planet (Return to Chimp Eden is our current favorite) before retiring to my bedroom to bathe in the magical blue light my mother bought me to help me sleep. It's one of the oddest sleep remedies I've tried so far--and as we sit there reading in its glow, we laugh at each other's purple lips, and I tell Dominick, "Violet! You're turning violet, Violet!"--but it does help me fall asleep. I'd just like something to help me stay asleep. And at this point, I'm willing to try anything. Except Ambien. I'm not sure I'd want to find myself driving down to Stop and Shop in the middle of the night, completely a-doze, wrapped in wrinkly pajamas and a sleepy haze. I've tried Benadryl, which works fairly well at shutting my central nervous system down for a good number of hours, but after a few nights of accumulation in my system, I start to feel hungover during the daytime and since I don't drink anymore, it's a bit of a freaky feeling, given the fact that I hadn't had any fun the night before to make it all worthwhile. I've thought about meditation cds, which I used while giving birth to Buddha Dominick; it was the only way, after all, his 10 lb 1 oz body could rocket its way through my "mach-truck-like pelvis." I had been taking valerian, but had to stop before my knee surgery. Interestingly enough, its one of the many herbals that cannot be taken for a couple of weeks before surgery because it interferes with anesthesia. If anyone has any ideas, please send them my way!! Am in need of my beauty sleep--am looking far too much like Charlie Bucket's washer woman mother these days. And you know, I'm just not doing that much laundry.

I wish you all good sleep, good health, and all the other good things we often take for granted in this life. Be well.

May the warm winds of heaven blow softly upon your house. May the great spirit bless all who enter there. May your moccasins make happy tracks in many snows. And may the rainbow always touch your shoulder. --a Cherokee blessing

No comments: