Thursday, March 13, 2008

The anti-anesthesia gene

My dad told me a funny one the other day. We were talking about waking up in the middle of surgery--and the recent article that I referenced in a recent blog--and my dad told me his story: He was having hip replacement surgery, and suddenly came to, and was aware of sawing and hacking and lots of noise around him. Somehow he found his voice: "I guess you're not done yet." No doubt the doctors quickly upped his intake and sent him back under, way under. Leave it to dad to crack a joke under those kind of circumstances...

We wondered if we had an anti-anesthesia gene, or one that made us more resistant to anesthesia, or to the idea of it. ("You can't control me...") I will be certain to tell the anesthesiologists I meet with this coming Tuesday during my pre-tests at Newton-Wellesley about this distinct possibility. They'll most likely laugh in my face, but no matter: I really don't want to wake up during surgery (again).

My dad got married today, to Mimi Hollister, a fellow activist, traveler, Marbleheader, and lover of the sea. Congratulations, Dad and Mimi!

No comments: