Monday, March 31, 2008

Jim snoops snopes to sniff out urban legend

Leave it my sweet-toothed, red meat-fed, milk-swilling husband to be a super sleuth and refute the last post about Johns Hopkins' cancer claims. Thanks, Jim, for setting us straight. For more info, click here: http://www.snopes.com/medical/disease/cancerupdate.asp

That said, I personally believe that there's probably some truth to what the bit contained--though of course, I don't eat dairy products (though if it is indeed the mucus cancer feeds on, then any one of my allergies could be responsible), red meat, or much sugar, and I still got cancer. But that would be a painfully silly over-simplification of a very complicated monster, and as we all know, there's a whole lot of things we don't know, and a whole lot of things we can't control. The gist is trying to control, within reason, what you can, and letting go of the other stuff. Living within ten miles of Vermont Yankee Nuclear Power Plant puts us in direct line with all the nasty nuclear ooze; but living in the valley also puts in direct line with lots of amazing health-giving resources: organic farms & CSAs, beautiful landscapes, clean air (hey--it's all relative--Franklin County made the cut), and that undeniably hipster funky progressive vibe that makes it easy for us to be ourselves. Just keeping it real, man.

Which is not to say that I wouldn't want to move someplace a bit warmer right now. Because I would.

It's been a full day--a visit to the chiropractor (and I drove myself, tenderly), a return to homeschooling, and visits from the visiting nurse, the occupational therapist, and my friend, Nancy, who treated me to a relaxing massage! The phone rang throughout the day, docs trying to fix appointments, which have finally materialized. Next Monday, April 7: I meet with breast doc, plastic surgeon, and medical oncologist, not all at once, but one after the other, and find out what my updated road map looks like. The chemo question is starting to weigh heavily. So...

...My friend Dan says the key is to watch as many funny movies as you can. So, I'm off to watch the 40-year old Virgin. Dominick has been primed. We do love Steve Carrell. And I'm thinking this will be better than Knocked Up. Wish Juno were out on DVD. It all started with a chair...

No comments: